Family Resources: Developmental: Ages and Stages
At the Family Connections Parent Link Centre we offer, the Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) which is a developmental screening tool that looks at the areas of communication, fine motor, gross motor, personal social and problem solving.
Why is Monitoring Child Development Important?
The first 5 years of life are very important because this time sets the stage for success in school and later adulthood. This is optimal time for your child to learn through play and experiences. It is important to ensure that each child's development is proceeding without problems during this period.
What is the Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ)?
- A series of 19 questionnaires that are completed by parents or primary caregivers.
- Questionnaire intervals include 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, 42, 48, 54, and 60 months of age.
- Each questionnaire contains 30 developmental items and are divided into five areas:
- Communication: looks at the child's language skills, both what he/she understands and what he/she can say.
- Gross motor: looks at large muscle movement and coordination.
- Fine motor: looks at hand and finger movement and coordination.
- Problem solving: looks at how the child plays with toys and the child's problem-solving skills.
- Personal social: looks at the child's self-help skills and interactions with others.
- An Overall section addresses general parental concerns.
The Ages and Stages Questionnaire: Social-Emotional (ASQ-SE):
- Complements the ASQ by providing information specifically addressing the social and emotional behavior of children ranging in age from 3 to 66 months.
- The ASQ:SE has separate questionnaires for 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 48 and 60 months of age.
- The ASQ:SE is completed by parents and caregivers.
For more information on the ASQ's click here
If you are interested in receiving a developmental check-up, or just want some more information, please contact the Family Connections Parent Link at 587-392-2271, or at email@example.com