Building Strong Families: A Workshop Series for Lone Parents
This fun and informative workshop is offered several time per year in a 5 week and an 8 week format. The curriculum was developed using feedback from real single parents. Weekly topics include; money management, fun family activities, parenting on your own, resources, taking care of yourself, working with the other parent and moving on.
Whether you are a new lone parent or a lone parent with years of experience this workshop offers a chance to learn new things and connect with other lone parents.
Building Strong Families: Part 2
Participants that complete the first Workshop can attend this 4 part series. The group topics are overcoming loneliness and fostering family resiliency.
Completion certificates and childcare are available for all workshop Building Strong Families Workshops.
Building Strong Families:
A Workshop Series for Lone Parents
(Sample workshop template)
Session 1: Resources (1.5 hours)
- Benefits, subsidies, waivers, basic needs, parenting/counselling/legal and health supports
Parenting On Your Own (1.5 hours)
- Strengths of lone parent families and things that help lone parent families be successful
- parenting an opposite sex child
- time saving tips
Taking Care of You (1.5 hours)
- What is stress?
- Self-care strategies and relaxation
Budget Friendly living and Fun Stuff (1.5 hours)
- Money saving tips on groceries, utilities, shopping, recreation etc.
- Low and no cost child and family activities around Calgary
Planning Ahead (1.5 hours)
- Lone Parenting: Getting into Your Child's world - Building a relationship with your child (presented by Parent Coach from Family Connections Parent Link)
- Planning ahead: Information relating to Ages and Stages of children and anticipating life stages (choosing a home, daycares, preschools, schools, camps)
It Takes a Village (1.5 hours)
- Building a support network
- Setting healthy boundaries
- Co-Parenting/Parallel Parenting
Moving On (1.5 hours)
- Grief and Loss
- New Relationships
Budgeting (1.5 hours)
Workshop curriculum is also offered in five, 2.5 hour sessions.
Topics may not be offered in this order or modified depending on the needs and interests of the group participants.
Agencies interested in having the program offered at their facility can contact us at 587-392-2262.